Saturday, September 22, 2007

Farewell Summer




I have been meaning to blog about this book for quite some time! A week ago I finished Ray Bradbury's book Farewell Summer, which was published in 2006. It is a sequel to his book Dandelion Wine, published in 1957. For any of you who haven't read Ray Bradbury, I suggest that you do. Although he is known as a sci-fi writer I have read many of his books (and I am not a sci-fi reader). His books such as Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man are among my favorites. Many of his books are a commentary on society and humanity.




Farewell Summer follows Douglas Spalding, a twelve-year old boy, who is always looking for an adventure. The book as been cited as being semi-autobiographical. Throughout the story, Douglas and his friends create an imaginary rivalry between the town' s elderly and themselves. They make believe that they are in the midst of war. Meanwhile, the story also looks at young romance, the virtue of honesty and being true to one's moral character. The story is a poignant look at the contrast, yet similarities between the old and young. The writing is artistic, light and airy. Reading this book, made me yearn for the summer's of my youth when life was innocent and carefree.

0 comments: